Decade after decade, real estate has proven to be a solid investment. A rental property can generate cash flow in addition to building equity. Owning investment properties also may offer certain tax advantages.
Here are some issues to consider when you’re thinking about investing in real estate:
- Type: Do you want a duplex, triplex or quad that you can live in yourself while renting other units? Or do you want to buy a condo, townhouse or single-family home? Do you plan to rent the property out year-round, or use it as a vacation rental? If the latter, will you also use the property yourself?
- Location: You’ll pay a premium for a property in a more desirable neighborhood or a vacation hot spot, but you may command a higher rental price.
- Repairs: If the house needs work, consider whether you’ll earn your investment back. Updates to kitchens, bathrooms, HVAC systems and roofs can all be costly.
- Maintenance: Maintaining the property helps protect your investment. If you don’t live nearby, you’ll need to contract with someone to keep the house in good shape.
- Local landlord/tenant laws: You’ll need to do some research on local regulations, particularly on rent control or other laws that could affect your ability to cover your mortgage payment, property taxes and expenses.
- Tax implications*: You can deduct operating expenses that exceed the amount of rent you collect on an investment property, and you can depreciate an investment property. You can deduct losses on the sale of an investment property, but you must pay capital gains tax on profits. The implications may change if you live in the home.
* Consult your tax advisor
We can help you determine how much equity you have available and how much you can afford to invest in a property.
Serving All Communities
Trident is dedicated to making home ownership a reality for all families. We offer many affordable housing options through our partnerships.Get Started
It's easy, secure and only takes a few minutes.Get Started
Our short video guide takes you step by step through the mortgage application process.Watch Now
What Our Customers are Saying
I want to take a minute to share my experience with Trident Mortgage Company in Rosemont, PA. My husband and I recently purchased our first house and Dennis Kinslow and Linda Brautigam were incredible! They were so helpful and spent whatever time was required to explain my mortgage and the process to me. I felt I could trust them every step of the way and I knew they were trying to get me the best rate possible. The first time I went to Trident to bring in some paperwork, Dennis sat down with me for 45 minutes without an appointment! I was in contact with Linda throughout the process and she explained things to me as many times as necessary so that I would fully understand what I was signing and what was required. They made me feel comfortable and confident during a time and a process that were very stressful. Dennis and Linda seemed to naturally put me at ease and they were so personable and caring I never felt like I was “just a number” or rushed and dismissed. My initial mortgage pre-approval was with another company and I did not experience anything like this with the other company. I will recommend Trident in Rosemont, and very specifically Dennis and Linda, to everyone I know!!~ K. R.